[PLUG] USB issues

Denis Heidtmann denis.heidtmann at gmail.com
Sun Jul 12 00:45:00 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 9:13 AM, Scott Garman<sgarman at zenlinux.com> wrote:
> Denis Heidtmann wrote:
>> In trying to get my HP PhotoSmart  S20 scanner communicating with
>> VirtualBox (Win 2K guest)
>
> This is a shot in the dark, but I have a USB device that doesn't quite
> work right with WinXP under VirtualBox, although it was detected and
> would appear in the WinXP Device Manager. I learned a workaround would
> be to connect the device, go into the Device Manager, disable the
> driver, and then re-enable it.
>
> More details are in this blog post:
>
> http://blog.zenlinux.com/?p=162
>
> Good luck,
>
> Scott

Thanks for the link.  However, I doubt that my problem is of the same
nature.  I mentioned VBox only to say how I encountered the problem.
With VBox not in the picture at all, I find that watching
/var/log/messages (tail -f /var/log/messages) shows that the name of
the scanner is read (or transmitted) wrong most of the time.  Plugging
and unplugging the USB or the power to the scanner produces the random
results I posted in my original message.  I expect that even if VBox
managed to communicate with the scanner it would not be getting
sensible data.

I am setting up to try Ubuntu 8.04 live, a different cable, and a
different plug on my MB.  Maybe these tests will help illuminate the
nature of the problem.

-Denis