[PLUG] Paragraph Counting Script

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Jul 13 22:26:33 UTC 2009

   Does anyone have a working script that will count chunks of text separated
by two newlines?

   I have a plain text file with names, addresses, phone numbers, etc. and
I'm curious how many distinct entities are in the file. Each line ends with
a newline, but they are separated by a blank line. I'm sure that such a tool
can be cobbled together from shell tools or any scripting language and,
rather than re-inventing the wheel, I'd like to use one already written.

TIA,