[PLUG] Java book

mhewan1 at comcast.net mhewan1 at comcast.net
Tue Jul 14 02:28:35 UTC 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Daniel Herrington" <herda05 at gmail.com>
To: "General Linux/UNIX discussion and help, civil and on-topic" <plug at lists.pdxlinux.org>
Sent: Monday, July 13, 2009 3:37:32 PM GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific
Subject: [PLUG] Java book

All,

I'm embarking on a voyage of discovery with Java and I'm looking into
picking up a couple of books. Does anybody have some good suggestions from
what they've read/used? I've been exposed to OO programming through PHP and
Perl. Also and web resources and mailing lists would be helpful as well.

thanks,

Objects First with Java, ISBN-13 978-0-13-606086-4

A little spendy since it's a text book, but well worth it. The first half of the book is basic OOP, the second half is how to program well. If comes with a CD with lot's of examples and there's an online resource for it as well. When you get to actually writing Java programs, use Eclipse for your IDE, it's written in Java so it works everywhere, and has a lot of interactive help for syntax for using the many classes available.