[PLUG] Java book

Jameson Williams jameson at jamesonwilliams.com
Tue Jul 14 04:06:47 UTC 2009

> > The best way that I've found to learn any language is to embark on making
> > compiler or interpreter for the language, preferably in the language.
>

> Doesn't this require that you know assembly language???
>
> Compile to what...??
>
> Interpret to what..???

This is not a bad idea, but linux-yug does rightly point out that the
project is a little more involved than ideal. Instead of a "compiler" or
"interpreter" I would say "lexical analyzer" or "syntax checker" so that you
don't have to generate the actual bytecode. This way you can compile a
foo.lang file and use your executable to syntax check other foo.lang files,
and have learned a lot in the process without getting too deep into the
minutaue of system software.

Jameson