[PLUG] Linux-compatible laptops

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Tue Jul 14 22:22:06 UTC 2009

>>>>> "Robert" == Robert Kopp <iconoklastic at yahoo.com> writes:

Robert> I'm about to get a new laptop, and it would be nice to get one
Robert> at a retail store whose hardware was supported by Linux. The
Robert> only problem I have ever encountered with earlier laptops was
Robert> with the Wifi adapter, but now that most of the new ones don't
Robert> have PCMCIA slots (to provide Wifi connectivity if the
Robert> built-in Wifi adapter doesn't work), this is an important
Robert> point.  I suppose it boils down to whether the Wifi chipset is
Robert> supported by Linux, then. Could someone direct me to a source
Robert> of information on this subject, or suggest laptops that are or
Robert> are not suitable on these grounds?

Wifi on Linux has been a horrible hodgepodge for a long time, but it
is (painfully) slowly getting better and better.  Today, it is even
usable, with some occasional problems.  Basically, wait six months and
things are better.  In another six months, it'll be better again.  Two
years from now, I expect it'll be super awesome with sauce.

linuxwireless.org has some information about supported hardware.  If
the laptop has intel or atheros radios, the drivers are pretty good.
Broadcom radios historically have had worse drivers because they are
reverse engineered and based on lots of guess work.  USB radios often
have decent support too, so pcmcia is not your only option for
pluggable devices.

I have more experience with the Atheros radios, but for managed-mode
either Atheros or Intel radios should keep you (reasonably) happy.
Both have vendor cooperation now, which helps a great deal.

--
Russell Senior, Secretary
russell at personaltelco.net