[PLUG] Linux-compatible laptops

m0gely m0gely at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 23:59:08 UTC 2009

Robert Kopp wrote:
> I'm about to get a new laptop, and it would be nice to get one at a retail store whose hardware was supported by Linux. The only problem I have ever encountered with earlier laptops was with the Wifi adapter, but now that most of the new ones don't have PCMCIA slots (to provide Wifi connectivity if the built-in Wifi adapter doesn't work), this is an important point.

I find that laptops at stores like BestBuy are generally not what most
people expect. I see HP's, Acer's and Toshiba's all the time that brake
down just after the warranty's expire, especially HP/Compaq.

If you can get past the store part, I recommend the Dell Latitude
E-series. I have the e6500 and Ubuntu Jaunty 32bit operates flawlessly
on it. All the features work great, including the back-lit keyboard,
wireless and webcam. It has both a PCMCIA and Express Card slot if you
need'em. The whole bottom of the laptop comes off with one screw, and
all the components including CPU are accessible from there. Magnesium
chassis, internal WWAN card slot, quad core capable, etc. Don't mean to
sound like a commercial but after several months I just love this thing.
3 year warranties are standard with the e6500 too. The Precision M4400
is the same machine with a high end Quadro if you need it and finally a
true 8-bit LCD to see the full color gamut.

I got mine from the Dell outlet for $700 under the price off the main
website.

I find System76 to be very expensive for what you get. They're heavy, no
docking capabilities, lackluster options, and someone said they are
re-branded Acers? Ugh...

> XP, which is still liked better, is no longer installed on new PC's. Windows 7 won't be out until October, and may or may not be free as an upgrade to purchasers of new equipment.

XP can be purchased still and installed. 7 is a free upgrade as of now,
but only the same edition of Vista that comes on the machine. Vista
Basic doesn't count.

--
m0gely