[PLUG] Linux-compatible laptops

Tim tim-pdxlug at sentinelchicken.org
Wed Jul 15 00:01:56 UTC 2009

Hello,

> [...] but now that most of the new ones don't have PCMCIA slots (to
> provide Wifi connectivity if the built-in Wifi adapter doesn't work),
> this is an important point.

Don't most have ExpressCard slots?  It's my understanding that
ExpressCard is simply a PCMCIA standard where the cards get hooked
directly into either the PCI Express bus or the USB 2.0 bus, depending
on the type of card.  I'm guessing Linux will have less trouble with
this, at least in the mid-term, than it had with PCMCIA/PCCard slots
over the years.

More educated comments on this topic are welcome.

tim