[PLUG] Linux-compatible laptops

MJang mike at mommabears.com
Wed Jul 15 13:44:43 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-07-14 at 22:37 -0700, Russell Senior wrote:
> [...]
snip

> John> this is really true. But if a business traveler turns off the
> John> switch and then powers on the laptop during a flight, and as a
> John> result of the radios not really being turned off the plane
> John> crashes, the bill that Lenovo will receive will not be trivial.
>
> I am given to understand that the primary reason turning off personal
> electronics in during takeoff/landing is so that passenger attention
> is directed towards crew instructions rather than distracted by
> gizmos, not because they actually significantly interfere with
> navigational systems.

802.11b wireless networks have been certified on aircraft since 2003,
ref -
http://news.cnet.com/Boeings-sky-high-Net-access-takes-off/2100-1023_3-983712.html

I understand that electronics on fly-by-wire planes (mostly Airbus) are
pretty well protected from electromagnetic interference w/wrapped
cables. The power generated by APUs, A/C systems, and even Galley Ovens
is a lot greater than a wireless card.

Thanks,
Mike