[PLUG] Linux-compatible laptops

Bill Barry barryb at proaxis.com
Wed Jul 15 19:55:45 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 11:02 AM, m0gely <m0gely at gmail.com> wrote

> Bill Barry wrote:
>
> > I am happy with my HP Pavilion DV6000, it is more than a year old now
> > and is holding up well. It's Broadcom wifi works with ndiswrapper, and
> > recently with the kernel b43 driver.
>
> Hopefully you will miss this recall fun then:
>

> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c01087277
>
> You'll know it happened if your wireless LED suddenly goes orange and
> can't be turned on (card will be undetectable, mobo is at fault), or the
> laptop doesn't power up consistently. I've seen two dv6000's in the last
> couple months with this problem. But they are not in the batches listed
> on HP's site. Nice.
>
> --

Thanks for the warning. I followed the above link and indeed my laptop is on
the list of ones that might be in trouble, but I don't have any of the
symptoms listed as of yet.   The only real problems I have had with this
laptop and linux is that the power management will work in one kernel, then
break in the next and I have spent a lot of time tracing down problems with
the suspend mode. It is getting a little more stable, but I am always
careful to upgrade kernels only when I have time to troubleshoot the suspend
mode.

More than WIFI compatibility I would check to see if suspend mode worked
well if I were shopping for a laptop.

Bill