[PLUG] WYDIWYS, advanced topics, thanks Eric, etc.

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Fri Jul 17 18:30:04 UTC 2009

First, thank you to Eric Wilhelm for talking about Text::Slidez
at Advanced Topics on Wednesday, and thank you Tony Rick for
making arrangements with Roots.  There are more chairs and tables
and a screen in the back room.  Note for those attending the
August presentation (I will be out of town), and for presentations
in April-August 2010 - we should bring some thin black plastic
tarps to tape over some of the windows to keep the sunlight off
the screen.

Version 0.7 of WYDIWYS, which I presented at Advanced Topics, is
available at http://server-sky.com/wydiwys .  I fixed the file
inclusion, the first/last button on the last slide, and used
jQuery (thanks Joey, others) to process key clicks.  It now works
with Internet Exploder as well as Firefox/Mozilla.  The next step
is to tweak the javascript so it sizes images more adaptively,
and to incorporate as much of Text::Slidez as I can.

Some requests:

1) If anybody here is using Safari(Mac) or Opera(any platform) or
Chrome, please read the instructions for the button controls on
the WYDIWYS page, then click to the demo presentation and see if
all the keyboard buttons work.  You will need to enable Javascript,
and for the last slide, flash player.  If you use some other
browser than the above, try that too!

2) I would like to intelligently preload the flash and images into
browser cache somehow, while other slides are showing.  That will
speed up local presentations a little and remote presentations a lot.
Suggestions?  AJAX for dummies?

3) I have two RF presenters and their clicker codes;  I would like
to get more.  Those will get added to the navigation() function in
wydiwys.js  .  If you have such a clicker, go to:

http://sawmac.com/missing/javascript/tutorials/examples/chapter06/events.html
AKA:  http://snurl.com/nfmkh

... and start pushing buttons and see what codes they make.  Note
that some buttons have modes, they emit two different character
patterns in alternation.

4) On this page (borrowed from Edward Tufte):

http://server-sky.com/slides/wydiwys_demo/stalin_D_intro.html

The statue of comrade Stalin is saying "Следующий Слайд", which
is allegedly Ruski for "next slide".  How is that pronounced?
It tranliterates as "Sledujuskij Slijd".  I would suffer tongue
lock if I tried to pronounce it that way ...  :-)

Keith