[PLUG] motherboard repairs

Dale F. Victor dalefv at k-com.net
Sun Jul 19 07:03:48 UTC 2009

On Friday 17 July 2009 10:25:46 am Bill Barry wrote:
> What is the evidence that it is really the motherboard and not the power
> supply or the fan or something else?
All I have to go by is what people tell me. A company up north (I forget their
name) said they repaired it by doing something to the bios. I got the
computer back and it worked twice and then the old problem was back. I
callled them and was told to take the battery out. This worked once.

When the computer turns off it does so before anything comes to the screen.

> Is there a bios cpu monitor that turns
> the system off if the cpu gets too hot?  Is that what is triggering the
> power off?  Maybe the heatsink is not attached well to the cpu and is
> causing it to overheat, or the fan is not running and that is causing it to
> overheat. It could be several things, even something in the kernel that is
> killing it during the boot process. Does it always power off at exactly the
> same place in the boot process?
Yes, but it may be hard to tell as this is a rather fast computer.

> Bill

Thanks, Dale