[PLUG] motherboard repairs

Bill Barry barryb at proaxis.com
Sun Jul 19 07:25:31 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 12:03 AM, Dale F. Victor<dalefv at k-com.net> wrote:
> On Friday 17 July 2009 10:25:46 am Bill Barry wrote:
>> What is the evidence that it is really the motherboard and not the power
>> supply or the fan or something else?
> All I have to go by is what people tell me. A company up north (I forget their
> name) said they repaired it by doing something to the bios. I got the
> computer back and it worked twice and then the old problem was back. I
> callled them and was told to take the battery out. This worked once.

Do you mean that you took the battery out and put it back in and
booted, or just left the battery out and booted without it? If you
haven't done that, it would be worth trying, just take the battery out
and boot with just the wall wart, it could be a bad battery problem.

> When the computer turns off it does so before anything comes to the screen.

So you can't get to the bios. That's too bad.  Does it beep?

It could well be a motherboard problem, but it still might be some
kind of power problem. The battery could be causing problems, or the
wall wart is in trouble or ?, and as soon as the system needs a little
more power during the boot, like for spinning up the hard disk, it
kicks off.  Do you hear the hard disk start spinning?

Bill