[PLUG] Java book

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Sun Jul 19 19:25:19 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-07-13 at 15:39 -0700, Dan Colish wrote:

> Thinking in Java, 4th Edition.

++TiJ

I used the 3rd ed. in the Java class at PSU and liked it. Bruce Eckel
has a number of books that are good and some of them are free, too:
  http://www.mindview.net/Books

It looks like the 3rd ed. is now freely-available
  http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/docs/books/eckel/

I do not know and use Java well enough to be able to say to what degree
the 3rd ed. is out of date. I had to use it again recently in the
compilers class and did not have any problems with Java 6.

Sun also has tutorials that you can use too, if you can focus while
reading material on-line:
  http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/index.html

Wil
--