[PLUG] Java book

Jason Dagit dagitj at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 22:00:59 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 2:39 PM, Andrew Brookins <a.m.brookins at gmail.com>wrote:

> > Take a program you have already written in another language, and
> > translate it to java.
>
> +1 for this approach.  Rewrite something you are already familiar with.

I think the only substantial criticism to this approach is that it can be
tempting to try to write the familiar thing in the same style as you wrote
before.  But, often the style of authoring needs to change with the new
language in order if you want to take advantage of the strong points of the
language.  In other words, I don't recommend translating the code "verbatim"
if you go this route.

Jason