[PLUG] Ubuntu Hardy Analog Audio Line-in

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Thu Jul 23 16:23:56 UTC 2009

I'm not getting any sound from Line-in on my Ubuntu Hardy machine. It is
possible I haven't tried recording audio from an external source since
installing Hardy. I can't find the way to activate the Gnome mixer
applet. The help page says, "To add this applet to a Panel, right-click
on the Panel and choose Applets->Multimedia->Mixer" but Applets is not
available in the context menu I get. I do have "+Add to panel..." but it
doesn't have a mixer applet.

Now that I've found:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshooting#Getting%20Line%20Input%20to%20work%20(Microphone,%20etc)

I'm pretty sure I haven't recorded from an external source on Hardy,
since I haven't seen anything like this before.

I have AlsaMixer running, and have enabled the Capture view. I assume
I'm trying to use the Line input on the sound card. The Capture view shows:

     0        0    ------  ------   ------ ------ ------   ------
------ ------ ------ ------
3D Contr  3D Contr  Line    Mic     Video  Phone  IEC958   IEC958 P
Aux   Capture Mix Mix Mono

I can toggle Line (and others) with the space bar to produce this:

                   L    R
     0        0    CAPTUR
3D Contr  3D Contr  Line  ...

but I don't get a level control above it. Capture does have a level
control above it, but I don't get any sound. I have the headphone out of
a boom box plugged in to the line-in jack on the sound card. At least I
think it's the line-in -- the blue jack. (If the industry standardized,
and if the image I found with Google agrees with my box, then green =
headphone/speaker out, blue = analog line-in, and pink = mic in.)

Any assistance will be appreciated.

TIA.

--
Regards,