[PLUG] Web file transfer site recommendations

chris (fool) mccraw gently at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 16:09:51 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 22:55, John Jason Jordan<johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:
> I must use PSU's e-mail servers, even for my Comcast account, or I
> won't be able to send e-mail when I am on campus.
>
> Recent "upgrades" to the university e-mail system changed the maximum
> e-mail attachment from 20 MB to 8 MB.
>
> Side question 1: How does this benefit the university? Doesn't the
> entire e-mail and all its attachments merely pass through the
> university's computers? Am I correct in thinking that the 20 ~ 8 MB
> never resides on the university's servers?
>
> This is seriously annoying to me. I cannot get files from my professors
> because they are too big to pass through the university's e-mail
> system.
>
> As a workaround, I am looking for web-based file storage sites. All I
> have found so far are unacceptable.
>
> Does anyone know of such a site (free) that does not require an e-mail
> address so they can spam me forever with requests that I upgrade to a
> for-pay account?

why not use yousendit with a throw-away email account?  they're not
going anywhere (ie teach once & forget) because people like my company
pay them and have been paying them for their service for years.  yes,
they are chatty to your registered email address (even as a paying
customer), but no, you don't have to read their crap!  if i knew
another service to recommend i would, but that one is easy to use for
recipients and is all i've ever used.

second alternative:  you run linux, why not ssh tunnel to a distant
system that can talk to comcast's mail server?  i'd offer to set you
up an end to that tunnel on my home (comcast-connected) always-on
machine, but i am moving in a month and will probably not be a comcast
customer anymore after that (and will anyway be down for a bit during
the move).

luck++;