[PLUG] Web file transfer site recommendations

John Medway pdxlinux at johnmedway.com
Fri Jul 24 16:38:26 UTC 2009

With Google you'll be able to send 25 MB attachments anyone who hasn't WAY
overbought/provisioned their email server (like Google has) will reject.

I understand the desire to move large amounts of data around, but email is
NOT the way to do it. Think of the literal bandwidth required for
transmit/receive + CPU for virus/spam scanning (attachment goes through
Amavis, ClamAV, Amavis, SpamAssassin, Postfix, and then if local Dovecot) x
N users. And this may occur on more than the final recipient host,
depending on server/farm config.

There are good rea$on$ server admins and IT Departments don't allow large
attachments, unless they had money to burn when provisioning their email
system.