[PLUG] motherboard repairs

Larry W larryw at holbrookmasons.org
Sat Jul 25 02:40:50 UTC 2009

Dale F. Victor wrote:
>  Hello!
>
>  Sorry I was not plain, I do get excited.
>
>  The battery is fine, I know that.
>
>  The hard drive could be bad.
>
>  It does not run long enough to get into the bios. I tried.

Well, if you're sure the battery has a good charge, and you're sure the
power supply is operating properly, try pulling that hard drive.  POST
ought to detect that and complain, or it may simply try to boot the CD.
If it is a heat issue (I can't imagine a CPU overheating in the first
seconds of POST, but I'm not an expert), try chilling the laptop first.

You could also pull the CD drive and try to boot from a USB stick.

If you've managed to open the case you could try reseating the CPU and
check any other socketed chips and connectors.