[PLUG] Alpha and ARC console...

Michael Robinson plug_1 at robinson-west.com
Mon Jul 27 04:29:26 UTC 2009

I have a PC164 Alpha system, not the one that takes DIMMS unfortunately.
My system is just a 333 mhz box.  I have Windows NT 4.0 on it, though
that isn't very useful.  Can't get upgrades beyond service pack 3.

I also have Redhat Linux 6.2 installed.  Great, except this version of
Linux is quite dated.  Naturally, I checked out alphalinux.org and
downloaded the latest dvd images of Debian and CentOS for the Alpha
and lo and behold I can't install either one of them.  Uge!  To
install an even semi modern Linux distribution on my Alpha, it
appears that I have to install SRM console.  Where do I get that
from?  Will installing SRM console wipe out ARC console?  I use
milo to boot Redhat 6.2, but evidently the newer CentOS 4.3 needs
SRM console instead.  The README on the CentOS 4.3 alpha DVD is
pathetic, it says essentially that the maintainer doesn't like
to give instructions.  The Debian DVD has a doc that says something
about installing an older version and then upgrading that somehow.

When Alpha died out, what was the top of the line workstation?  I
know there used to be alpha servers that cost 1000s of dollars.

I'd like to have something better than Netscape 4.7.

How do I specifically find software for Windows NT 4.0 Alpha these
days?  How about software for Linux Alpha?