[PLUG] motherboard repairs

Erik Lane eriklane at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 15:32:43 UTC 2009

I assume by this you mean those IR temperature 'guns' type of thing?
Those that just have a number? I was thinking that something like that
wouldn't give you the resolution that a camera would by being able to
see the whole picture. I guess you just wave the thing around looking
for hot spots? I'll see if I can get one before I completely give up
on it.

I've played with it some more now. I've had it running DSL and it had
problems, so that takes both the wireless card and the hard drive out
of the picture, right? (Or does it use the hard drive for swap or
something similar? From their homepage it doesn't look like it.) If
neither of those is bad then it's either the fans or something
expensive, right? There's not a whole lot in there to go wrong except
stuff on the motherboard and processor. When it failed for me last
night it was after only a couple minutes, and before the computer even
finished booting. (It failed multiple times, but never quite got to a
usable desktop.) The air coming out of the fan ports, as well as the
whole laptop was not hot at all. This leads me to believe that it
isn't a fan problem.

Unless anyone has a strong feeling otherwise, it looks to me like this
is headed to be a parts laptop for my father, who has an identical
one. I'll still play with it a little with an IR sensor, but I'm not
very optimistic about getting it going again.

Thank you all for your time!
Erik