[PLUG] Another laptop buyer

MJang mike at mommabears.com
Tue Jul 28 05:08:55 UTC 2009

Folks,

It's been just about 3 years since I got this dell e1405 w/T7200 core 2
duo CPU and it has served me well. Just tried closing the laptop, and
the screen holder just cracked weirdly. I've gotten it retaped and
screwed in place.

It doesn't affect the functionality of the thing, but I'm taking it as a
sign to at least get back up to speed on the latest in laptops.

For the writing/testing that I do, I need hardware virtualzation, which
is why I got this e1405 with the T7200 CPU / L2 cache of 4MB. Just
browsing a bit, I see all sorts of bigger numbers, and Es, etc. And I'd
much prefer to stay reasonably light (weight based on 13.3 / 14.5"
screens).

I see some interesting laptops with the P8600 CPU, but am wondering
about the lower L2 cache of 3MB. Does that make a difference w/r/t
hardware virtualization?

Thanks,
Mike