[PLUG] Impressions of Mac mini...

Michael Robinson plug_1 at robinson-west.com
Tue Jul 28 09:48:42 UTC 2009

I'm thinking about replacing an unpopular 500 mhz K6-2 Windows XP PC
with a 1.66 Ghz single core Mac mini.  It's a small box Mac with an
Airport, Mac keyboard, and Mac mouse.  It comes with 10.5 installed,
but apparently the original OS was older than that.  I've been looking
on EBay where the price seems to be around $450 for a Mac mini.  I
take it this computer has no ethernet port which bothers me since I
don't want it to be wireless.  Is there a version of the Mac Mini that
has an ethernet port?

I guess an alternative is to try Ubuntu out on the PC.  I got stuck
running XP because I needed the Administrator account to protect the
installed software and the usb sound card which is supposed to work
in 98se doesn't.  I'm technically in spec for XP, but my Mom doesn't
like the machine where mom says she is comfortable with a Mac.

Cost wise there is a problem as this is technically a public computer
that is extra.  I'm finding that I want to be able to watch DVDs on the
box and add a USB TV tuner.  Mostly, this computer is supposed to
replace the gosh awful printed phone list that is scribbled all over.
Right now, it is slow enough that nobody likes it.  The current computer
should be fine for the stated purpose.

Since the PC is in a micro ATX case, I can't just throw a Windows 98SE
compatible sound card in.  Even in a micro atx case, the PC doesn't fit
very well in the cabinet below the telephone.  The Mac mini looks like
it would fit under the answering machine.  My CTL 196UW monitor should
plug into the Mac mini no problem using the digital cable.

Spending $450 to go Mac seems like a lot for this particular machine
and if the Mac is a wireless machine, that is not good.

I prefer not to go the 98se route.  Internet filters installed on a 98
system cannot be enforced.  Everyone is an administrator in 98se.  Oops!

Would Ubuntu run better on this old computer than XP?  I wouldn't be
able to play Warcraft II BNE, but at least I wouldn't have to buy a
new computer.  Does a Mac mini from those with experience using them
seem worth it to address space constraints and the need for a low end,
but not too low end, computer?  Is Ebay the place to go to get a Mac
mini cheap or is there a better option?