[PLUG] Impressions of Mac mini...

Matt McKenzie lnxknight at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 11:33:42 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 2:48 AM, Michael Robinson
<plug_1 at robinson-west.com>wrote:

> I'm thinking about replacing an unpopular 500 mhz K6-2 Windows XP PC
> with a 1.66 Ghz single core Mac mini.  It's a small box Mac with an
> Airport, Mac keyboard, and Mac mouse.  It comes with 10.5 installed,
> but apparently the original OS was older than that.  I've been looking
> on EBay where the price seems to be around $450 for a Mac mini.  I
> take it this computer has no ethernet port which bothers me since I
> don't want it to be wireless.  Is there a version of the Mac Mini that
> has an ethernet port?
>
> I guess an alternative is to try Ubuntu out on the PC.  I got stuck
> running XP because I needed the Administrator account to protect the
> installed software and the usb sound card which is supposed to work
> in 98se doesn't.  I'm technically in spec for XP, but my Mom doesn't
> like the machine where mom says she is comfortable with a Mac.
>
> Cost wise there is a problem as this is technically a public computer
> that is extra.  I'm finding that I want to be able to watch DVDs on the
> box and add a USB TV tuner.  Mostly, this computer is supposed to
> replace the gosh awful printed phone list that is scribbled all over.
> Right now, it is slow enough that nobody likes it.  The current computer
> should be fine for the stated purpose.
>
> Since the PC is in a micro ATX case, I can't just throw a Windows 98SE
> compatible sound card in.  Even in a micro atx case, the PC doesn't fit
> very well in the cabinet below the telephone.  The Mac mini looks like
> it would fit under the answering machine.  My CTL 196UW monitor should
> plug into the Mac mini no problem using the digital cable.
>
> Spending $450 to go Mac seems like a lot for this particular machine
> and if the Mac is a wireless machine, that is not good.
>
> I prefer not to go the 98se route.  Internet filters installed on a 98
> system cannot be enforced.  Everyone is an administrator in 98se.  Oops!
>
> Would Ubuntu run better on this old computer than XP?  I wouldn't be
> able to play Warcraft II BNE, but at least I wouldn't have to buy a
> new computer.  Does a Mac mini from those with experience using them
> seem worth it to address space constraints and the need for a low end,
> but not too low end, computer?  Is Ebay the place to go to get a Mac
> mini cheap or is there a better option?

A few things to address...

First, the only Mac Mini available with a 1.66Ghz CPU is a Core Duo, meaning
dual core.
The was only one model with the Core Solo, single core Intel CPUs, and it
was 1.5ghz.
Lower than that were the PowerPC G4 models, with 1.25Ghz, 1.42Ghz and 1.5Ghz
CPUs (single core obviously).

The seller might be getting confused with the first generation "Core" CPU,
and the second generation "Core" CPU, wonderfully named, "Core 2".  So if
you see a Core Duo, it is a dual core CPU.  Core Solo is single core.  Those
are just first generation of the "Core" brand family (it is the next family
after "Pentium", they got tired of calling everything Pentium, since they
are on the 6th and 7th family series by now).  Core 2 Duo is second gen dual
core.  Core 2 Solo (haven't seen one) is single core second gen.
Mac Minis came in 3 models of first gen Core Solo and Core Duo, and then
several models of Core 2 Duo second gen.

Also, there hasn't been a desktop Mac that did NOT have an ethernet port
in... many many ages, definitely since the PowerPC G3 age.  PowerMacs,
iMacs, eMacs, Minis, all of them have ethernet, and recent models all have
Gigabit ethernet.  Same goes for laptops, but that is another can of
worms... ;)

Every Mini model has ethernet.  I don't know what the seller on eBay thinks
but they obviously don't know very much about what they are selling.  The
more recent models don't have 56k modem (maybe they are confused by the
missing RJ11 modem jack), but they do all have RJ45 10/100/1000bT ethernet.

For detailed specs on the 1.66Ghz Core Duo Mac Mini:
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_mini/stats/mac_mini_cd_1.66.html
In particular see the section: Standard Modem and Standard Ethernet.

This model should support OS X 10.5 fine, and very likely should support
10.6 when it comes out.
For running 10.5 and 10.6 you probably want at least 1GB RAM or better.

You can also run Linux on them no problem.  Just need to work out the
bootloader.  I think there is an EFI GRUB.  EFI is what Intel CPU Minis use
instead of BIOS or OpenFirmware to control low level hardware.

I don't own a Mini but have used them at various times, they are a decent
machine, if you use them what they are spec'd for (i.e. don't expect to play
the latest games on them).

Also, have you checked Craigslist for more local prices?

HTH,

-------
Matt M.
LinuxKnight