[PLUG] Another laptop buyer

MJang mike at mommabears.com
Tue Jul 28 13:16:57 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-07-27 at 22:21 -0700, Matt McKenzie wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Just to put my Dell laptop repair experience into play here, what do you
> mean "screen holder"?
> Do you mean the plastic bezel that sits in front of the LCD panel?  If so
> that part should be easy to replace.  On some models those tend to break
> somewhat easily.

It's the bezel. The LCD panel is still fine, and I am typing this
message on that laptop.

The crack was actually caused by the bracket that holds the screw in the
lower right of the screen. I tried opening the laptop to about an 120deg
angle last night, perhaps a little too fast, but the bracket did not
follow. The screw stayed in place, but the bezel cracked when the
bracket stayed near parallel to the keyboard, opening a gap of maybe
1/4". (AFAIK, the e6400 is equivalent to the e1505, which is a bigger
version of the e1405.)

I realize that it shouldn't be too hard to replace, but it's been 3
years (the warranty was 2), so I'm just taking it as a signal to start
thinking about a new laptop. (Part of the bottom housing is also quite
worn; the left touchpad key hasn't "clicked" in nearly a year, but is
still usable.) I do want to have something in mind if/when something
more catastrophic happens.

If you do have professional experience with such "housing" replacements,
I'd like a quote (offline if you prefer).

But I'd still also like comments on the lower level of L2 cache of many
current CPUs such as the P8600 (3MB) vs the T7200 (4MB), and whether
that has any impact on performance w/r/t hardware virtualization.

Thanks,
Mike