[PLUG] google docs

TedKubaska tedkubaska at comcast.net
Tue Jul 28 16:43:07 UTC 2009

Thanks. What you say makes perfect sense to me.

My buddy hangs out with a bunch of writers and would-be writers. They've discovered word processing and Windows and struggle with email. It's nearly impossible to carry on a technical discussion with them. I stepped into this because he'd been sending stories through email to several people and then collating comments from several copies. I've had good experience collaborating on google docs for technical specs and opensource projects and suggested that (the privacy is not perfect, but it's pretty good), and it opened up a can of worms. At this point I wished I'd kept my mouth shut.

This has nothing to do with copyright law as one person suggested. If you sell First North American Serial Rights, you still retain copyright. Apparently also some publishers buy FNASR and never publish the story, which is something I find hard to understand, but it happens. And you're right, they pay essentially nothing. As an unpublished author he'd be lucky to give his story away.

The group he hangs out with discusses electronic publishing a lot, but no one understands it .... either technically or legally.

I've read the google doc EULA (and pages of blogs about it) and I think it is contradictory. At one point they say they have the right to publish and in another place they say that right is only to allow them to present the work to you on google docs.

I think if he really wants a definitive answer he has to see a lawyer (and pay). I gathered up the comments here and sent them to him. Thanks for the input; I think he's gotten about all he's going to get from us Linux geeks.

-ted