[PLUG] Home server to Amazon S3

Andrew Brookins a.m.brookins at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 17:19:27 UTC 2009

Hey,

I've been running my own home server for a while -- centralized
backups, IRC, fileserver, svn (now git) repo's, etc.  It was all fun
and games until I got married.

Now I'd like to consolidate my five home computers into one laptop and
possibly an Amazon EC2 instance or two.  Have any of you used EC2 for
revision control or S3 for backups, and if so, what's your experience
been?  I know RMS isn't into it
(http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/sep/29/cloud.computing.richard.stallman).

I could use shared hosting for some of this, but I'm tired of rolling
my own binaries and then figuring out broken dependencies when the
host does an upgrade.

I checked out the cost of running an EC2 instance 24/7 and it appears
to be less than ideal.  But am I right in thinking with a couple of
scripts I could launch and shutdown the instance whenever I needed it?

Andrew