[PLUG] One-liners

Jameson Williams jameson at jamesonwilliams.com
Thu Jul 30 17:25:19 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 9:34 AM, Randal L. Schwartz
<merlyn at stonehenge.com>wrote:

> Andrew>   find . -empty -maxdepth 1 -exec rm {} \;
>
> Beware.  -empty is a stupid GNUism because the GNU people were
> too lazy to type "-size 0".
>
> The *real* find is documented in:
>
>  http://opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007908799/xcu/find.html
>
> "GNU - because, hey, WHO THE F CARES about portability..."

Well, GNU find retains -size, afterall. I think it's more fair to call GNU
"reverse compatible" with UNIX. GNU is Not UNIX, though, lest one forget --
the project was kind to be rather explicit of that. These days I'd prefer to
blame UNIX for being old fashioned in these respects -- it's they who are
getting off-lined, not the Gnu kid.

Cheers,
Jameson