[PLUG] Get off of junk mailers list...

Michael Robinson plug_1 at robinson-west.com
Fri Jul 31 08:21:28 UTC 2009

Okay Postfix people...  If greylisting isn't doing it and
spam assassin is missing a lot of junk, what do you do?

I suspect that viruses generate lists of email addresses somehow of
potential customers who are susceptible to fraud and other things.
So how do you fight back?  How do you get off of the list?

My ISP Opus never seems to let spam through.  How does Opus manage
to stop more of this stuff than I do?

I'm getting a lot of you won, give us your personal information fraud
among other things.  I get emails that read like they are from some
uncouth woman who wants to have sex with me complete with a link to
a web site that looks like an online pharmacy.  I imagine what I am
describing is something that others have experienced as well.

I guess if a computer virus is causing me to get these emails from
infected computers across the Net that there isn't much I can do.
If I'm on some list, how do I get off?  I think a lot of so called
lists harvest email addresses if you specify which one you want
taken off.

Perhaps investigating where a link in one of these emails goes
makes things worse too.

I suspect that most viruses affect Windows, so being that I run
Linux when I check email I figure I'm pretty safe.

One way to stop spam cold is to blacklist every possible email
source and only whitelist the ones that you know are legit, but
this breaks the way things are defined to say the least.  There
is also the risk that you won't let a legitimate email through
where the sender won't retry.

I want to clean it up, I just don't know how.  If only my email
servers could get smarter somehow every time someone spams me.