[PLUG] rsync

Bruce KIlpatrick bakilpatrick at verizon.net
Tue Jun 2 15:18:34 UTC 2009

Paul Mullen wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 01, 2009 at 10:17:07PM -0700, Bruce KIlpatrick wrote:
>> #!bin/bash
>>   sudo rsync -av --progress --delete
>> --log-file=/home/bruce/Desktop/$(date +%Y%m%d)_moose_rsync.log
>> robin at xxx.xxx.xx.xxx:/home/robin /media/disk/MooseBackup
>
> I usually include "-x", which instructs rsync to not cross file system
> boundarys when reading from the source. This likely won't be an issue
> for you if you're sticking to your homedir, but it's handy if you're
> backing up your root partition and have other filesystems mounted
> (/home, etc.). Also, if it's your homedir, you probably don't need to
> use sudo. The fewer privileges, the better.
>
> It's usually a good idea to make a dry run prior to the real copy, via
> the "-n" flag. If you're creating a fresh copy of your source file
> system, then you likely don't have to worry about trashing anything on
> the destination, but you never know. A dry run also often leads me to
> include a few "--exclude" arguments.

Thanks Paul,

I have been using the -n flag and have fixed some of my syntax errors
with the use of the dry run.

The only error I see in the log file at this point is a permission
denied at /home/robin/.config/menus so adding an --exclude would not be
a problem.

After thinking about this a little more...besides wanting to "learn to
do this correctly", I am interested in what is really important to
save...email, browser, documents, pictures, etc...without having to
create a huge list of folders to include or exclude.  At this point it
is a 6 GB file that is saved, so not really a storage issue, yet.

Thinking on the fly this morning,

Bruce