[PLUG] rsync

Kris krisa at subtend.net
Wed Jun 3 00:52:11 UTC 2009

Bruce KIlpatrick wrote:
> I have been working to learn a bit about rsync, in preperation for
> upgrading to Jaunty.  After reading several tutorials, reading some of
> the man page, and generally messing around with some minor changes in
> syntax, I came up with the following.

I'll chime in about my recent experience with rsync.

I had lot of hardlink-based data to ship (Zimbra).  I installed from source the
latest release of 3.0 as it incrementally handles harlinks in realtime vs.
building a huge table in memory about how things are linked.

I've been pushing the Ubuntu 8.04 backport of rsync3 ever since.

My standard usage is 'rsync -axHP' when I need hardlink aware copying.  When
working with VM filesystems outside the guest (either Xen LVs or KVM qcow2's),
remember to use '--numeric-ids' or the rsync will use the UIDs of your local
system when copying.

I will probably need to modify my standard to include '-A' as more ACL usage is
occurring these days.

In the end, this post is more of a "get on the 3.0.x bandwagon.. it rocks!". :)

--
I'm just a packet pusher.