[PLUG] terabyte upgrade

Quentin Hartman qhartman at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 19:26:52 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 12:20 PM, m0gely <m0gely at gmail.com> wrote:

> Quentin Hartman wrote:
>
> > If you have other power-hungry components (most notably high-end video
> > cards) you will probably need more than that. Anything over 500 watts is
> > overkill though unless you know for sure you need it, and even then, you
> > usually don't. As a point of reference, I have an upper-mid-end /
> > lower-high-end gaming machine (Major components include: single Raptor
> HDD,
> > AMD X2 6000+ (125W TDP), Nvidia 9600GT video) that draws about 300 Watts
> > under load.
>
> Check out the comment by BikeHelmet:
>
> http://ask.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=1241585&cid=28050629

Yeah, my 6000+ draws a lot of power since it is the first-gen at that speed
level. I've considered swapping out the processor for a newer lower-power
one and a good 80+ PSU (probably 500 watt-ish) and see what a difference it
makes. I almost never use this machine anymore though, so I've decided not
to bother. I think I've used it all of 10 hours in the last 6 months. I just
don't have time for gaming lately, and everything else I do works fine on
laptops.

QH