[PLUG] Fileserver+ suggestions and comments.

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Thu Jun 4 19:24:26 UTC 2009

So, here's my situation:

I have a small home network included a modded XBox for playing stuff
through the home entertainment center and a networked MP3 player in
the living room (since living space should be as far from TV space
as possible).  Also, my home is in New Orleans where it is hot and humid
(A/C is for chumps).

After my old PIII media PC conked out, I decided to go with a smarter,
"greener" solution for acting as the house server (mostly just dishing
out files to whatever wants them, running network backups, and playing
experimental webserver from time to time -- unknown future applications,
but flexibility is geek oxygen).  But what is it?

Ideas:
A Pogoplug with external USB drive enclosures.
   +  Small, very low power consumption
   -  separate power for each USB enclosure, lots of cables, unknown
long-term effect of heat and humidity on the drives.

A MiniITX box with Atom processor.  The case sold at ENU has space for
three hard disks with a 5.25->3.5 adapter rail.  Might be cool to mount a
thumb drive inside for the OS.
   +  More power, bigger, more work.
   -  Fewer cables, more processor.

So, what are the informed opinions?   More suggestions!

I'll be at the meeting tonight and social hour after.   It'll be good to
see your old, bearded faces.

J.