[PLUG] Fileserver+ suggestions and comments.

Quentin Hartman qhartman at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 21:05:00 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 12:24 PM, Jeme A Brelin <jeme at brelin.net> wrote:

> Ideas:
> A Pogoplug with external USB drive enclosures.
>   +  Small, very low power consumption
>   -  separate power for each USB enclosure, lots of cables, unknown
> long-term effect of heat and humidity on the drives.

I'm thinking of experimenting with one of these as well, though I'm inclined
to get the "dev kit" from Marvell directly. It seems like it would be more
hackable, and is the same price. My playing with this would be using it as a
"remote sensor" sort of device.

> A MiniITX box with Atom processor.

I have built and deployed several Mini-ITX based servers. I love em. My
current home server is a Via mini-itx system in a very small enclosure,
connected to an external USB drive array for mass storage. Between the two
they draw less than 100W when running full-tilt, and about 30 when the array
is spun down. I also have a server in my father's auto shop in colorado that
has been running non-stop in an unfriendly environment for 4 or 5 years now.

Also check out logicsupply.com for mini-itx stuff, they have some really
nice small form factor gear that is hard to find elsewhere.

QH