[PLUG] Denyhosts, Cracking Attempts, and Intensity

Rob Saul rob at code-gnomemad.org
Sun Jun 7 02:10:15 UTC 2009

Quentin Hartman wrote:
> Just wanted to comment that the super-wimple way to avoid all this headache
> is to run SSHD on a non-standard port.

I started doing this several years ago after getting sick of seeing
my logs get filled with failed login attempts. I've read comments by
some saying that all attackers have to do is a port scan, which is true.
But, it the years I've been doing this I've seen exactly one set of
failed login attempts on the alternate port I use.  And I use other
measures as well.

	~Rob