[PLUG] GRUB version

Steve Beattie steve at nxnw.org
Tue Jun 9 04:05:03 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jun 06, 2009 at 04:12:17PM -0700, Bill Barry wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 6, 2009 at 3:52 PM, Denis Heidtmann
> <denis.heidtmann at gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > What is the present thinking about which GRUB to use,  GRUB2 or GRUB
> > legacy?
>
> Grub legacy is the default boot loader installed by many distributions and
> is quite reliable.

While that's currently true, I expect that to change quite soon. At a
minimimum, Ubuntu is attempting to change to grub2 for new installations
during the 9.10 Karmic development cycle; in fact, grub2 by default will
land for the Alpha 2 images intended to be released later this week,
barring some unforeseen issue:

  https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-announce/2009-June/000573.html

I suspect other distributions will move to grub2 in the near future as
well. So if you want to ensure that grub2 works with your hardware and
setup, now's probably a good time to test it out.

--
Steve Beattie
<sbeattie at ubuntu.com>