[PLUG] Google Developers Favor vi over emacs

Andrew Brookins a.m.brookins at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 23:54:47 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 9:00 PM, Michael M. Moore<michael at writemoore.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-06-08 at 14:35 -0700, Paul Heinlein wrote:
>> OK, the Subject header is flame bait, but I accidentally discovered
>> vi-esque shortcuts in Google Calendar today. In any view (day, week,
>> month), you can navigate to the next time unit using j or n or to the
>> previous time unit using k or p.
>>
>> I find that hilarious.
>>

> Google Reader:
> j/k -- next item, previous item
> m -- mark item (toggle read or unread)
> gh -- go to GR homepage
> ga -- show "All items" view
> gs -- show starred items
> gt [tag] -- go to specified tag
>
> This is why I like Google Reader ... very vim like.
>
> GMail also uses the j/k duo for moving to the next or previous
> thread ... er, "conversation" ... and n/p for next/previous message.
> And, of course, / moves to the search box, just like / starts a search
> in vim.  As with vim and Google Reader, g is a frequently used modifier
> in GMail -- ga for all mail, gs for starred, gc for contacts, etc.
>
> I tried the vimperator Firefox extension for a while.  There were things
> about it I really liked, but it makes working with most of Google's
> services very difficult -- something about all the frames GMail,
> GCalendar, GReader, etc., use.  In the end, web browsing is probably one
> thing that a mouse is somewhat useful for.
>
> --
> Michael M.

Vimperator is great.  One way to get around key conflicts with Google
apps is to create separate instances of them using Prism, which is
another Firefox plug-in.  I have Gmail and GCalendar "prism apps" that
open as separate instances of Firefox (actually xulrunner) with
vimperator disabled.

On a somewhat related topic, I read that an unstable build of Chrome
is available for Linux
(http://dev.chromium.org/getting-involved/dev-channel).  On other
operating systems, Chrome will let you convert a web site into a
standalone application, so maybe it will do so on Linux.  Of course,
there is no vimperator for Chrome... yet.  ;)

Andrew

ps, vim4life.