[PLUG] Google Developers Favor vi over emacs

Michael M. Moore michael at writemoore.net
Wed Jun 10 14:09:55 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-06-09 at 16:54 -0700, Andrew Brookins wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 9:00 PM, Michael M. Moore<michael at writemoore.net> wrote:
> >
> > I tried the vimperator Firefox extension for a while.  There were things
> > about it I really liked, but it makes working with most of Google's
> > services very difficult -- something about all the frames GMail,
> > GCalendar, GReader, etc., use.  In the end, web browsing is probably one
> > thing that a mouse is somewhat useful for.
>
> Vimperator is great.  One way to get around key conflicts with Google
> apps is to create separate instances of them using Prism, which is
> another Firefox plug-in.  I have Gmail and GCalendar "prism apps" that
> open as separate instances of Firefox (actually xulrunner) with
> vimperator disabled.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I tried it out, but it didn't work for me,
for reasons I couldn't quite be sure of.  I think the reason might be
that I don't have 32-bit libraries installed (and don't particularly
want them installed).  There's a message on the Mozilla Wiki Prism page
to that effect:

"NOTE: "bash: ./prism: No such file or directory" error on 64-bit Linux
(Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon) occurs if you do not have the "ia32-libs" package
installed. Installing the package with "sudo aptitude install ia32-libs"
resolves the issue."

I'm using 64-bit Debian (Squeeze) rather than Ubuntu, but I'm guessing
the problem is the same.

Nevertheless, you gave me an idea -- I can use Epiphany for Google
services, effectively using Epiphany in the manner that you are using
Prism apps.  I'd rather do that than install a mess of 32-bit libraries
I don't need for anything else, and I already have Epiphany installed.
I don't know why I didn't think of that before.

> On a somewhat related topic, I read that an unstable build of Chrome
> is available for Linux
> (http://dev.chromium.org/getting-involved/dev-channel).  On other
> operating systems, Chrome will let you convert a web site into a
> standalone application, so maybe it will do so on Linux.  Of course,
> there is no vimperator for Chrome... yet.  ;)

The key word there being "unstable" :-)  I read that it is as yet quite
a ways from being usable on Linux.

The vimification project continues.

--
Michael M.