[PLUG] OT ReactOS project hard to predict...

Michael Robinson plug_1 at robinson-west.com
Wed Jun 10 23:50:00 UTC 2009

Trying to ask what will be in the next release and when XYZ will
be fixed on the ReactOS general forum board, I got flamed big
time.  I guess 0.5 will be the first significant release, but
who knows when that is going to come out.

Honestly, I'd rather have a clone of Windows 98SE that runs on top
of freedos than a clone of Windows XP.  I don't use any XP specific
programs, but there are some 98se specific ones that I like.

I have found that Warcraft II BNE version 2.01A installs under
ReactOS, but it doesn't work.  The map editor doesn't work either.
If something works in WINE, it doesn't necessarily work in ReactOS.
Sad really.

People talk about wanting 98SE to run Mapinfo and/or Garmin GPS
software.  Well, wouldn't those who use this software be happier
if they didn't have to use Windows at all?  How about a native
Linux port of Mapinfo?  The company that puts out Garmin GPS's,
has anyone talked to them about supporting Linux?

The ReactOS project started when, 1997?  So it is a 12 year old
project and they are still in alpha stage.  I don't think any
version of Windows was developed for 12 years, except maybe
Vista ;-)  It seems that the ReactOS foundation can collect
money okay, but when it comes to getting dedicated developers
that are highly skilled I guess that's too difficult.  Obviously,
Linux has done a lot better than ReactOS.

How many people who work on Linux would say, "I don't put out high
quality code or documentation for it because I don't have enough
time and I don't get paid?"