[PLUG] WYDIWYS presentation tool

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Wed Jun 17 23:32:09 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 08:15:15AM -0700, Rich Shepard wrote:
>   If you're not wedded to a BUI and can work with a .pdf file, look at the

I looked at PDF.  I want to include animations that will play on
any platform (Linux/BSD/Mac/Win), with a wireless remote.   I
want hierarchical navigation, and open content creation from any
application (including a C program) that can generate images.
Just about any displayable image can be turned into a PNG, while
PDF only has limited inputs and outputs.  A BUI does everything
I want, plus or minus some bugs.  The PDF format is much more
limited, and there are few programs that create or display it.

There are a whole lot of other things that Just Work by using
pre-rendered images.   The browser already has 98% of the display
ability I need, WYDIWYS only adds a few missing pieces to do a
"next generation" presentation tool.  It took less time to write
the alpha version than I wasted fighting OOo Impress on my
previous presentation.  The crazy thing is how much I can do
with it, given how little code I had to write.  More than half
of the code is related to hierarchical navigation that I can
operate with a three button RF/USB clicker,

I hope to present WYDIWYS at the July Advanced Topics.

Keith