[PLUG] LVM resize issue

Sean Whitney sean.whitney at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 22:13:34 UTC 2009

Yesterday I deleted a LVM partition in order to extend my home directory.

That when fine.

planck:~# lvdisplay /dev/mapper/planck-home
  --- Logical volume ---
  LV Name                /dev/planck/home
  VG Name                planck
  LV UUID                dONHGG-BJsP-ct6W-Tr9m-ZKZj-Efvj-x0YpQV
  LV Write Access        read/write
  LV Status              available
  # open                 1
  LV Size                72.88 GB
  Current LE             18658
  Segments               2
  Allocation             inherit
  Read ahead sectors     auto
  - currently set to     256
  Block device           254:1

However resizing hasn't worked.

planck:~# resize2fs /dev/mapper/planck-home
resize2fs 1.41.3 (12-Oct-2008)
Filesystem at /dev/mapper/planck-home is mounted on /home; on-line
resizing required
old desc_blocks = 3, new_desc_blocks = 5
Performing an on-line resize of /dev/mapper/planck-home to 19105792 (4k)
blocks.
resize2fs: Inappropriate ioctl for device While trying to add group #343

/dev/mapper/planck-home
                       43G   36G  4.3G  90% /home