[PLUG] When mounted doesn't mean mounted

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Wed Jun 24 03:27:18 UTC 2009

On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 20:11:35 -0700 (PDT)
Joe Pruett <joey at clean.q7.com> dijo:

> > Well, I was certainly logged in when I removed the CD/DVD drive and
> > inserted the 500GB drive. I did not restart the computer - I just
> > hot-swapped the drives. Then I launched pybackpack and proceeded to run
> > the backup. Then I left the house for several hours.
> >
> > The filesystem on the 500GB drive is ext3.
> >
> > It must have been mounted or Nautilus would not have been able to
> > display its contents, right? If so, then the problem is in explaining
> > to rdiff-backup where to put the backup. Perhaps I need to get
> > rdiff-backup's attention. I do have some 2x4s out back.
>
> ah, i was thinking an overnight unattended backup.  can you cd to
> /media/whatever from the command line?  the little bit i've played with
> ubuntu, it seems like it makes things look like they're in /media, but
> they're really in some .gvfs dir off your home directory.

Oh wow! You're onto something! I don't know what yet, but I do have
a .gvfs directory, and rdiff-backup refuses to back it up because it
says I do not have permission. I run rdiff-backup as root, so that
surprised me. It is the only thing that rdiff-backup refuses to back
up. And (not knowing what it is) I tried to delete it, but even from
the command line as root I could not delete it.

Furthermore, I spoke too hastily when I said I had managed to restore
my computer to normal operations after deleting the backup that went to
sda1. Nautilus has lost all my settings, including bookmarks.
Furthermore, I had set things so even Desktop would never be displayed
on the desktop (I like a clean screen). Now Nautilus is displaying
every folder splattered all over the desktop, not just the Dekstop
folder. Grrrr.

There was a discussion here recently about where Nautilus keeps
bookmarks, but I didn't save the discussion and I can't find it. It's
in a text file in a hidden folder in my home folder, but I can't
remember the name of the file or where it was located.