[PLUG] Bash script question

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sat Jun 27 23:16:42 UTC 2009

I'm sure this is trivial for most people here, but man bash is massive
and I can't figure it out.

In an effort to bend rdiff-backup to my will I have created the
following script:

#!/bin/bash
sudo rdiff-backup --include-globbing-filelist /home/jjj/rdiff_excludes.txt / /media/disk2/Full_system_backup > /home/jjj/rdiff-errors.txt
sudo rdiff-backup --list-increment-sizes /media/disk2/Full_system_backup > /home/jjj/rdiff-stats.txt

The first line runs the backup. The second line obtains statistics
about the backup.

When running the backup several error messages are generated. I want
these saved to a file. I also want the statistics in the second line
written to a file.

The statistics are going to the specified file perfectly. However, the
error messages generated when the backup is run are just being
displayed in a terminal window and not going to the file. When the
script ends the terminal window disappears. taking the error messages
with it. (I can see them if I watch while it is running.) The command
does create the rdiff-errors.txt file, but it has -0- bytes.

The question is how to modify the "> /home/jjj/rdiff-errors.txt" part
of the first line so it sends the error messages to the file?