[PLUG] VirtualBox

Denis Heidtmann denis.heidtmann at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 15:27:16 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 12:16 AM, John Jason Jordan<johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 22:07:54 -0700
> Denis Heidtmann <denis.heidtmann at gmail.com> dijo:
>
>> I am trying to understand the uses and limitations of VirtualBox, in
>> anticipation of using it (or some other VM) to run Windows for a few
>> tasks that I still use.  My understanding from reading the docs. is
>> that VB does not support Ubuntu 9.04 as a host, nor Windows ME as a
>> guest.  I believe that the latter could be dealt with by getting a
>> newer version of Windows, but the former seems like a show stopper.
>> Am I understanding the documentation correctly?  Any experience here?
>
> I can't understand why Ubuntu 9.0.4 cannot be a host. I have Virtualbox
> running just fine on Ubuntu Jaunty x86_64. For guest OSs I have Windows
> 2000, Windows XP and Ubuntu Hardy 32-bit. Guest additions work fine
> except for Hardy - could never get that working. But I installed Hardy
> only to test something and should really delete it now.
>
> Who said that Virtualbox wouldn't run on Jaunty?

>From the docs:

• Linux hosts (32-bit and 64-bit4 ):
     – Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 (“sarge”), 4.0 (“etch”) and 5.0 (“lenny”)
     – Fedora Core 4 to 10
     – Gentoo Linux
     – Redhat Enterprise Linux 4 and 5
     – SUSE Linux 9 and 10, openSUSE 10.3, 11.0 and 11.1
     – Ubuntu 6.06 (“Dapper Drake”), 6.10 (“Edgy Eft”), 7.04 (“Feisty Fawn”),
       7.10 (“Gutsy Gibbon”), 8.04 (“Hardy Heron”), 8.10 (“Intrepid Ibex”)
     – Mandriva 2007.1 and 2008.0
It should be possible to use VirtualBox on most systems based on Linux kernel
2.6 using either the VirtualBox installer or by doing a manual installation; see
chapter 2.3, Installing on Linux hosts, page 21.

I jumped to the conclusion that 9.04 missing from that list meant that
it was not supported.

As to Windows guests, the unavailability of Guest Additions for
Windows ME seems like a significant drawback.  Anybody have a 2000 or
XP sitting around not being used?  I would have to determine if my old
programs, MathCad and QuickCad, will work with such "modern" systems.

-Denis