[PLUG] dkimproxy or dkim-milter ?

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Tue Jun 30 19:07:49 UTC 2009

I need to add outbound DKIM signing to my email, so yahoo will
accept inbound email from my server.  I am using postfix 2.3.3
and Scientific Linux 5 (an RHEL5 clone).  I send mail from half
a dozen domains, and my DNS is split between my hosting provider
(rimuhosting) and dyndns.com .

DKIM signing uses the private keys on my outbound mail server
to generate an SHA-256 cryptographic signature for the message
body and header.  This is added to the header in the outbound
mail.  The recipient verifies the mail using the public key in
the DNS record for the domain.  I will set up one key pair for
each domain.

There are at least two tools out there for outbound verification:

--- dkimproxy,  tutorial example at:
http://anothersysadmin.wordpress.com/2008/01/16/domainkeysdkim-with-postfix/

--- dkim-milter, tutorial example at:
http://www.topdog.za.net/postfix_dkim_milter

Does anybody have a preference between these two?  I am leaning
towards the dkim-milter option, because there is an RPM package,
the postfix configuration looks simpler, it is transportable to
other mailing packages, and it does not depend so much on the
integrity of underlying Perl modules.  But there may be hidden
suckage that I don't know about, or other DKIM packages that
come with free ice cream and ponies.

Keith