[PLUG] cron.daily scripts not reporting if they have been run

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Mar 12 13:24:38 UTC 2009

   A couple of days ago I noticed that my mail no longer included log reports
for /var/log/secure and /var/log/maillog. Both calling scriptes are in
/etc/cron.daily and syslog.d is running (with the -m 0 option I added a
couple of days ago). Could that option have stopped the scripts from
running? My assumption is that the scripts are being run each night, but the
summary results are not being mailed to me. Perhaps that assumption is
wrong, and the scripts are just not being run at all.

   /etc/logrotate.conf specifies daily rotation, and that's occurring.

   This happened once before, a number of years ago, and I no longer have a
record of what I did to get the log reports started again. Any and all
suggestions greatly appreciated.