[PLUG] spamd, imap, procmail

Jason Dagit dagitj at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 21:36:03 UTC 2009

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 12:26 PM, glen e. p. ropella
<gepr at tempusdictum.com>wrote:

> So, I intended to set up a procmail pipe to process some (not all)
> e-mails I receive automatically.  But two things (may) complicate the
> issue: 1) I use imap and the folder it uses is /var/mail/gepr, whereas
> all the procmail examples show it going to something like
> $HOME/Mail/mbox and 2) I'm using a system-wide spamd.
>
> Can I just set DEFAULT=/var/mail/gepr without reconfiguring IMAP?  And
> will the standard debian configuration of spamd interfere at all with
> proper procmail operation?

It's been several years since I needed to think about a setup like this so I
could be wrong or misremembering...

Okay, now that the disclaimer is out the way.  Isn't IMAP just a protocol
for communicating with the mail server?  So under that assumption, it seems
like you can put stuff in your mail spool however you want.  That is, I
think your DEFAULT would work just fine with IMAP.  I can't comment on the
interaction with spamd.

Could you test it on a different account that uses the same setup?

> If it's relevant, I'm using dovecot and exim4 on debian etch.

If you find that exim4 is confusing or the manual leaves you with too many
questions, I recommend giving postfix a try.  I was quite reluctant to
switch but I've never looked back.

HTH,
Jason