[PLUG] Suse 11.1 CDs at Clinic?

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sun Mar 15 05:28:00 UTC 2009

On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 21:33:39 -0700
"M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <zznmeb at gmail.com> dijo:

> > Gentoo 2007
>
> There was a 2008.0 Gentoo release -- should I burn copies of it? I
> couldn't get it to boot on one of my machines, and the failure to
> produce 2008.1 was one reason I switched from Gentoo to openSUSE.

It would be better if you would put the ISO file on a CD. Then I can
copy it off to the US drive. Using the USB drive I can burn the image
as many times as necessary. Of course, we could also make copies of a
boot CD, but most of us have only one CD drive so it takes forever to
make the copy. Plus CDs get lost in the Clinic stuff - we already have
so many it takes time to find the one you want.
> I could also burn the current "minimal install" Gentoo media, but you
> need a network connection and a lot of patience (or some bash scripts)
> to install it. :)

Network installs are fine for when you have good bandwidth. Free Geek
does not have enough.

> SystemRescue CD? CentOS? Debian Lenny?

Actually, my favorite rescue CD is GRML. It boot super fast, mounts all
the partitions it finds, and gives you a root command line. And it has
all the utilities you might need as well, including some that are not
used often. But I carry a Slax CD in my backpack because it has a GUI
and that is frequently easier to use.

> I've got a decent sized spindle I can bring. They're 52X and seem to
> be burning clean, unlike the DVDs I've got.

I've just been informed that we have more in the Clinic cabinet that I
was unaware of. So we don't need any for the time being.