[PLUG] Gnome utilities 'n stuff

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Mon Mar 16 18:14:37 UTC 2009

I have Gnome 2.24.1 on my Intrepid laptop. However, I have
disconfigurated some things because they are a pain. For one thing,
network manager sux rox and i replaced it with wicd. For another, in an
attempt to get my bluetooth headphones working with Intrepid I
completely uninstalled pulseaudio (I mean thoroughly).

So today I discovered a new phonetic font. I downloaded it and tried to
view it with Gnome font viewer (the command is "gnome-font-viewer").
But Gnome font viewer won't run. Neither will Font Installer ("kcmshell
kcmfontinst"). "No such file" is the error message.

Synaptic is not helping. Neither pops up in a search. Ubuntu-desktop
does turn up (not installed, and I think I remember removing it), which
says it includes "utilities." To install ubuntu-desktop it wants to
remove wicd and install pulseaudio, plus a bunch of other things I
don't want to do. As for kcmshell, Synaptic also fails to turn it up. I
don't think I ever used it, but I'm curious where it came from.

And I need some kind of standalone font viewer that is not part of some
megapackage that I don't want. Again, searching in Synaptic is not
turning up anything. All I can find is "specimen" which can only
display fonts after they are installed (no "file open" feature).

Any suggestions?