[PLUG] Gnome utilities 'n stuff

chris (fool) mccraw gently at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 19:13:16 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 11:14, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:

> And I need some kind of standalone font viewer that is not part of some
> megapackage that I don't want. Again, searching in Synaptic is not
> turning up anything. All I can find is "specimen" which can only
> display fonts after they are installed (no "file open" feature).

well, the standard desktop-agnostic no-frills viewer/chooser since i
started using Xwin in the 90's is xfontsel.  but i don't think it
works on non-installed fonts either.  why not install the font in
question?  it's not like font files are a huge pain in the butt--just
one or two files to drop in the right place, xset +fp rehash, and
you're good to go.  removal, just remove and re-xset and you're back
where you started.