[PLUG] Daily System Log Reporting

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Mar 17 00:18:24 UTC 2009

   Way back when I was running Red Hat-4.1 I installed
/etc/cron.daily/dailyscript. It seems to have worn out and no longer runs.
Part of that is due to my losing /etc/dailyscript.conf during my upgrade
mess a couple of months ago. Anyway, after a dozen years it's time for
something more modern.

   Dailyscript was written to send an e-mail (to root or a user) summarizing
who logged in, and activities in syslog, named, identd, pam, ftpd, sshd,
kernel, talkd, telnetd, and PAM_pwdb -- if there was any activity to report
in the logs. It also checked /var/log/messages for anything important.

   What are you SysAdmins using nowadays? I'd prefer takeout rather than
trying to write my own.

Thanks,